The buildings are listed in the Cartas Etnograficas de Gran Canaria (FEDAC) and were built in the nineteenth century, according to documents.
The main building,the oldest, was built in the 1800′s. Consisting of three floors and a central courtyard, the roofs are gabled with tea wood and artisanal tiles.
The spacious rooms interconnected, all open onto the central courtyard.
The initial building was built with light-coloured stone blocks and mortar, which have their origin in the emptying of the “Mareta” next to the house, mixed with basalt blocks, which serve as ornaments to the lintels and jambs of the window and door openings of the house.
Its floors are supported by tea wood beams and the same wooden boards as used for the ceilings of the two rooms underneath. The other two rooms that connect to the central courtyard, are sit on the earth with polished rectangular basalt floors.
At the beginning of 1900, as witnessed by the carpenter Blas Rodriguez Batista, who left us the letter attached and folded into one of the beams found in our rehabilitation work, a new building was added to the initial accommodation. It has two floors and is attached to its northeast face. The walls have mixture of bricks and blocks similar to those of the initial accommodation. The roof is flat with wrought rectangular wooden beams. The ground floor of this new annex is is to be used as stables. The floor is made of cobbles.
On the first floor, accessed by an external staircase, is a bedroom, connected to the first building through an rectangular basalt stone arc and Andalusian ceramic tile flooring.
A wine cellar and water tank attached to it, make up a separate building from around the same date, early 1900s. We used the same system of flat rectangular tea wooden beams. The wine cellar used to have a “picon” or volcanic ash floor, as was the custom in all the wineries in the area.
Close by and at the same angle, is the winery where basalt stone was used as flooring, designed with slits or small channels where the squeezed grape juice was poured. Its roof is flat and rectangular with tea wooden beams.
After the 1920′s due to agricultural and livestock needs, the farm and stables were built, with concrete and iron flat roofs and cobbled floors, with a porch and a feed storage area, and in the basement, manure storage.
The ownership of the farm, now a country hotel, has since the early twentieth century, been in the family of the current owners. Don Jose Mesa y Lopez, city father of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, acquired the farm in 1920, planting orange groves and expanding their vineyards. He also added cattle and horses.
Various channels and canals were built for water irrigation, from different areas of the island, San Mateo, La Atalaya, Tafira, and water rights were purchaded from La Mina near the Barranquillo de Dios. The water was transported irrigation channels to las Maretas, a 500 square meters and 12 meters deep pentagon along with a smaller rectangle of 75 square meters and 9 meters deep. Separate but connected with pipes, they are situated near the buildings on the Northwest side of the farm, taking advantage of the slope.